April 13, 2010 2 Comments
event: Opening Ceremonies of a Historical Exhibit for the Centennial Celebration of Diocese of Calbayog.
place: Diocesan Museum, Calbayog City
date: April 8, 2010 – onward
a brief note on the 100 years of diocesan pilgrimage… (by: charo nabong cabardo)
On April 10, 2010, the Diocese of Calbayog will celebrate the 100th anniversary of its founding as a Diocese. It was on April 10, 1910, when Pope St. Piux X issued the Consistorial Decree Novas Erigere Dioecesis that establshed the new Diocese of Calbayog covering Samar and Leyte islands, separate from the Diocese of Cebu.
For more than 300 years before this event, Samar island was administered by the Spanish missionaries – 173 years under the Order of the Society of Jesus and 134 years under the Franciscans – all under the Bishoperic of Cebu.
Bishop Pablo Singzon, a native of Calbiga who was Ecclesiastical Governor of the Diocese of Cebu from 1901 to 1903 was appointed as the first Bishop of the new diocese. Bishop Singzon chose the town of Calbayog in Samar which was the largest and most progressive town in the region, to be the seat of the new diocese.
The newly-erected diocese had 84 parroquias – 39 in Samar and 45 in Leyte. there were 35 priests in Samar (26 were Franciscans and only 9 were native clergy). In Leyte, there were 42 priests, all secular clergy. Bishop Singzon named Fr. Sofronio Hacbang asProvisor and Vicario General while Fr. Conrado Maga was named Secretaria de Camara y Gobierno. On May 2 – 4, 1911, Bishop Singzon convoked a diocesan Synod held at the church of Palo, Leyte.
And so,— the cornerstone for the foundation of the diocese had been laid.